Local financial cooperative, Wauna Credit Union (WCU) announces $12,000 in scholarships awarded to WCU student members in Columbia, Clatsop, and Washington counties.
WCU’s selected its 2019 scholarship recipients based on a variety of factors, including GPA, community involvement, extracurricular activities, and need for financial assistance.
“There are so many qualified and intelligent young people out there,” WCU CEO Robert Blumberg said. “These final decisions are never easy, but it’s always inspiring to read through the applicants’ stories and their journeys – we had a great response this year."
Thirteen students from seven area high schools and three colleges are recipients of this year’s WCU Scholarships, which range from $500 to $1,000 each. The 2019 recipients include:
- Camille Cottrell – Astoria HS
- Nara Van De Grift – Astoria HS Maria Heyen – Warrenton HS
- Cooper Blodgett – Clatskanie MS/HS
- Crew Blodgett – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Illyana Powers – St Helens HS
- Emma Phillips – Scappoose HS
- Allisandra Kuni – Scappoose HS
- Fatima Sanchez – Forest Grove HS
- Tyler Wolf – Vernonia HS
- Megan Clark – Corban University
- Nada Jones – Northwest University
- Payton Wolf – Portland Community College
“Congratulations to all of our graduates out there," Blumberg said. “We are very proud of you and look forward to the bright futures you’ll build.”
2019 marks over $350,000 that WCU has awarded in scholarships over the years.