Under sunny fall skies a crowd of over 250 gathered at the Clatskanie City Park for the annual Big Band in the Park concert held on Labor Day. The North Coast Big Band from Astoria entertained with music of the Big Band era ending with a rousing rendition of New York, New York including authentic big city horns.
The bleachers were lined with vintage cars owned by members of the Clatskanie Cruisers. Audience members enjoyed hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob and ice cream as they tapped their toes or danced to this infectious music.
The band was sponsored through the generosity of local residents Donna and Larry Garlock. The Clatskanie Arts Commission organized the event as a kick-off to its 28th Performing Arts Series. In celebration free cake and coffee were served at intermission. Clatskanie Arts Commission member Elsa Wooley said the event brought in estimate a profit of about $800.
The CAC series begins on Sept. 24 with Tayla Lynn (grand daughter of Loretta Lynn) and Grammy award winner Eric Tingstad in concert at Clatskanie's Birkenfeld Theatre. Other performances this season include Latin American Folk Music by Grupo Condor, the Oregon Symphonic Band, Missoula Children's Theatre production of Aladdin, accappella group On the Rocks and, back by popular demand, Jefferson Dancers.
For ticket information, call Elsa Wooley at 503-728-3403.
Welcome to the discussion.
1. Be Civil. No bullying, name calling, or insults.
2. Keep it Clean and Be Nice. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
3. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
4. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
5. Be Proactive. Let us know of abusive posts. Multiple reports will take a comment offline.
6. Stay On Topic. Any comment that is not related to the original post will be deleted.
7. Abuse of these rules will result in the thread being disabled, comments denied, and/or user blocked.
8. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.