The United Way of Columbia County reports that the county will receive approximately $28,028 in Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program Phase 36 funds to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in the county.
The selection was made by a national board chaired by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and consists of representatives from The Salvation Army, American Red Cross, United Jewish Communities, Catholic Charities USA, National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. and United Way of America, which will provide the administrative staff and function as fiscal agent.
The Board is charged to distribute funds appropriated by Congress to help expand the capacity of food and shelter programs in the county’s high-need areas.
A local Board made up of representatives from the VFW, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Community Churches, Homeless and other community representatives will determine how the funds awarded to Columbia County are to be distributed.
The United Way of Columbia County did not immediately have information regarding the actual distribution of these funds. The agency has been notified that under the terms of the grant from the national board, local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
- Be private voluntary non-profits or units of government
- Be eligible to receive Federal funds
- Have an accounting system.
- Practice nondiscrimination and provide a copy of their policy on their letterhead.
- Have no previous noncompliance or returned funds via the emergency food and shelter program.
- Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs within Columbia County.
- If they are a private voluntary organization, they must have a voluntary board.
- Organizations must have a permanent Columbia County presence.
Qualifying organizations are urged to apply. Completed applications may be submitted by 1 p.m. on July 12.
To request an application, contact the United Way of Columbia County at 503-556-3614, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Send applications to Attn: EFSP Board, PO Box 538, Rainier, OR 97048.